Rental Details for Belle Isle Castle

Back to List
Belle Isle Castle
Rental Phrase
Built solely as a house in the early 17th century, Belle Isle Castle is now expanded and fully refurbished and serves as a popular tourist attraction, hotel and wedding venue.
Wikipedia page:
Belle Isle Castle
Web site
Official web site
tourist, attraction


Belle Isle Castle is in truth a large estate spread across eight islands that has been inhabited since the 12th century. Though the castle has been privately owned for nearly its entire history by generations of nobles such as Ralph Gore, 1st Earl of Ross,[citation needed] it has been open to the public since 1760, when the castle began hosting ceremonies, primarily marriages.[citation needed] Belle Isle was built by the aforementioned Ralph Gore around 1700 after his father, Paul Gore, acquired ownership of the islands and has seen much expansion since. Today, the Duke of Abercorn owns and operates the castle as a venue and accommodation and has been declared a Special Area of Conservation.

Belle Isle Castle is a historic Irish landmark situated on Belle Island. The estate stretches over 470-acres across Lisbellaw, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. Built solely as a house in the early 17th century, Belle Isle Castle is now expanded and fully refurbished and serves as a popular tourist attraction, hotel and wedding venue. It also contains on site cookery school. Dating back to the early 17th century, the estate has been inhabited, owned and expanded by generations of nobles including Ralph Gore, 1st Earl of Ross.[citation needed] The estate has welcomed the public since 1760 when it began hosting events. In 1991, the castle was fully refurbished to open its doors to more visitors.[citation needed] The castle contains a gallery, an overlook tower, a courtyard, and a grand banquet hall. It also offers different residences throughout its coach houses and cottages, all of which include unique, different style bedrooms for its guests.[citation needed] The estate encompasses English and Irish furnishings, a grand open fireplace, works by Russian, Irish and English painters, and floor-to-ceiling windows that overlook the garden, which has been manifesting since the 18th century.[citation needed]

Belle Isle Castle originated as a sole house that was first built and inhabited by Sir Ralph Gore, 4th Bt in about 1700, after his grandfather Paul Gore came into possession of Belle Island.[citation needed] Sir Ralph Gore’s grandson, also named Ralph Gore, was born in the house in 1725 and throughout his life further expanded it, adding cottages, a tower, and with the help of designer Thomas Wright, together created the magnificent garden that surrounds the estate and extends to the Lough Erne shore.[citation needed] Upon Gore’s death in 1801, the now expanded castle was left to his only surviving child, Lady Mary Hardinge, wife of Sir Richard Hardinge, 1st Baronet.[citation needed]

After Lady Hardinge’s death in 1824, and her husband’s death two years later, the estate was left to the nephew of Hardinge, Rev Sir Charles Hardinge, 2nd Baronet, of Tonbridge Kent whom deemed no interest in owning the castle.[citation needed] In 1830, he sold the estate for £68000 to Rev John Grey Porter of Kilskeery, whose descendants owned the property up until 1991. During the ownership, the Porter’s worked to further expand the castle, adding various office wings and cottage houses.[citation needed] In 1991, Porter descendant Miss Lavinia Baird sold the estate to the James Hamilton, 5th Duke of Abercorn, who purchased the estate for his youngest son, Lord Nicholas Hamilton. It was the dedicated and admirable work of the Abercorns that have vividly transformed the castle into the fully functioning tourist attraction it is today.[citation needed]

Situated behind the castle, the Belle Isle Cookery School opened its doors in 2004 to be the first state-of-the-art cookery school in Northern Ireland.

Also on the grounds are activities available to guests that include shooting, sailing and hiking.

Coordinates: 54°16′04″N 7°33′23″W / 54.2678°N 7.5564°W / 54.2678; -7.5564